Wednesday, October 10, 2007

sleeping with your partner

Couples sleeping apart was a subject on the Today show this morning. I was very surprised that 20-25% of married couples choose to not sleep together.
There are so many ways to control the number or reasons for sleeping apart. Why would anyone turn to separate beds? Or in one study, separate rooms! You are in a loving committed relationship. You share your life, hobbies, interests, and family with your partner but you don't mind sleeping apart? I don't get it. I very much agree with psychologist Brenda Wade, there is probably more to it than just snoring.

Sleeping apart really limits your intimate availability. There are plenty of times I have gone to bed not in the mood and the next thing I know I am participating in TOP 10 worthy best sex I ever had.
If there are separate beds do you schedule your intimate times? Spontaneous, unexpected sex keeps the "same old same old" at bay. Let's face it after being married for 10 years I am sure sex gets pretty routine...maybe even 5 years...by sleeping apart you are just keeping sex more routine.
How can you truly feel this is what is best for your marriage? I like knowing that my husband desires me. Everyone likes a surprise every now and then. I just don't see how sleep can take the place of the comfort and love I feel when I get to snuggle up close to my hubby at 3am.

What do you think? Is sleep better than comfort, snuggles, and sex? Is it more common than we think to sleep apart?

No comments: